Learning Goal #1
To ensure that all students including our indigenous students are improving their capacity in Numeracy while at SMS to ensure they are able to interpret information moving forward in life.
Rationale — A numerate individual has the confidence and awareness to know when and how to apply quantitative and spatial understandings at home, at school, at work or in the community.
Learning Goal #2
To improve the reading skills of Gr. 6/7 English and French students including our indigenous students by 10% for those students who are not meeting grade level expectations.
- We continue to see an improvement in reading skills for Grade 6/7 students who are not meeting grade level expectations. Students were administered the Wechsler in May 2019 to determine groupings and lists for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Despite excellent work of the elementary Literacy Intervention Teachers, many students are well below grade level according to PM Benchmarks and the Wechsler when they arrive at SMS. Often these are transient students, who were not in SD 83 to participate in the intervention in grade 1
- We have discovered during the school year that students with a category (usually Q) do improve with LLI. We believe they should be given the chance to participate.
Learning Goal #3
To investigate the impact frequent absenteeism has on Mental Health.
- June 2019 data showed that we had 235 students who had missed a total of 18 or more days during the 2018-2019 school year
- June 2018 data showed that we had 82 students who had missed a total of 25 or more days during the 2017-2018 school year
Teachers and administration would like to see a significant decrease in student absences in order to improve student success